February and March are pre-booked in all DU students’ calendars. The excitement of going to star nights, eating great food and having a ball with your closest friends are just some of the reasons why most Delhi University kids flock to the best fests. However, to make sure you have a foolproof fest season, we bring you some important things to remember before the spell of fun starts –
- Reach the venue well before time: Make sure that you and your friends reach the venue at least half hour before the scheduled time. Even though, the show is most likely to start late, it is always better to secure a decent spot in the crowd. People will start pouring into the venue in huge numbers and the entry to the venue will be closed pretty early because of the huge crowd, so make sure you get a spot in advance to enjoy the show without worries.
- Check the entry procedure: It is very important to check the college entry procedure online for the particular fest before going. Some colleges are stricter with the entry as compared to others, so make sure you know how to get in. Colleges like Hindu and SRCC have a strict entry procedure because bags are thoroughly checked and passes are required, but carry your college id to all the fests, regardless.
- Keep cash: Make sure you have enough cash in this time of demonetisation. DU fests usually have stalls set up in the campus and payment would mostly be taken in cash by the small vendors.
- Take permission: DU fests usually end late so make sure that you have your parents’/hostel warden’s/landlord’s permission beforehand to come back home late so that you don’t miss out on any fun!
- Carry water: When inside the heavily packed campuses of Delhi University, wading through the crowd for water can be an issue. Carry a small water bottle inside your bag to avoid missing fun things while you’re in that moment of thirst.
- Dress comfortably: As much as I would like sporting heels for the fest season, I know that it is going to be super uncomfortable. Main events of the fests are usually held in the sports ground, and wearing heels on a grass field is probably a bad idea. Make sure you’re comfortable, warm and snug in your clothing because fests do require you to walk around/stand a lot, in the open.
- Beware of pickpockets: Crowded areas increase the dangers of getting mugged, so take care of your belongings, because a bad incident can ruin your whole day. Keep checking your wallet and phone from time to time and be alert of the people around you.
- Preserve the memories: The fest season will be the best time of your college life and preserving the memories for your future, adult self will be worth it. You can buy small trinkets from the various stalls as souvenirs, save the passes and keep it between heavy books or find a photo booth and get a group picture printed of the gang.
Lastly, and most importantly, have fun!
Image Credits: DU Beat