Winter is perhaps the most comforting of seasons, and the month of January sets the mood for the rest of the year. It is only fitting to treat your house, your hostel, or your room with some love.
With little time, money, and energy at our disposal, we often forget to take care of the place where we stay in. But we take from our surroundings, and what is in front of our eyes, has a direct impact on our mood. Although it is highly unlikely to think of ourselves keeping the place spick and span, it is plausible to add beauty here and there.
These are some of the ideas to try out:
- Candles: Humans have always had a connection with fire, it could be dated back to ancient times when only that element made them feel warm and secure. Now, lighting your house on fire will not be entirely recommended, but a candle should provide you with the same amount of warmth and comfort. Plus, they come in various scents- ranging from warm, to citrusy, to subtle, giving you a power of choice.
- Plants: Winters should never mean letting go of the green. There are plenty of plants that thrive in winters, and are quite low-maintenance. It is essential to have some greenery around yourself in order for you to feel good.
- Wrap it with wool: We all have old vases or candles lying around the house. We also happen to have old sweaters. Instead of throwing both of these away, cut the sleeves, hems, or necklines of your old sweater and wrap them around the old decoration pieces to make the more wintery.
- Natural accents: It is astonishing how much beauty trivial natural pieces can bring. Pinecones stacked together in a colourful tin, or little logs, cleaned and tied together with cinnamon sticks will enhance the rustic vibe that is so coveted.
- Potpourri: Potpourri are dried petals, spices or fruits which are put in a bowl. The good thing about these is that they not only look beautiful, but smell divine. One bag should last you a couple of months, and that is all there is to it. Some of the best scents are lavender, fig, rose, cinnamon, etc.
Besides these, if you feel like you could improve the lighting, experiment with warmer light bulbs, fairy lights, or table lamps. In case you are planning to invest in a good table lamp, copper hues are arguably the best looking and will lift the entire look of your place.
It is essential to maintain your surroundings, because it is food for your eyes, and to your soul. Although not always the most convenient of tasks, but it is definitely worth the trouble.
Feature Image credits: Hoosier Homemade
Comments are closed.