The University of Delhi (DU) has tied up with the Central Board of School Education (CBSE) to inspect all the document of newly-admitted students to ensure nobody gets admission fraudulently.
As per a recent Delhi High Court order, colleges of DU will have to return the original documents to students immediately after the admission process gets over; however, this won’t stop the Varsity from verifying the documents after the intake is done. The order will facilitate students to withdraw from the college with ease, in case they wish to switch colleges, or quit the course.
The verification will either be forensic or with the respective boards. “During the verification, if any college finds any certificate to be fake, the admission will be cancelled immediately. It is a criminal offence to submit fake documents,” a DU official said. Some colleges like Ramjas and Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa had previously conducted forensic tests of all documents during the admission period. For the CBSE students, the marks details are uploaded during the registration process itself from this year, reports Times of India.
Depending on their schedule, the colleges will ask for the documents after the admission. “Then these documents will be verified. For the authentication of documents, DU administration has tied up with CBSE. The document of students from Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) and state boards will be examined by the Varsity itself,” they added.
A member of the standing committee of Academic Council explained to The Morning Standard that 80% of the application that the University receives come from CBSE pass-outs. The other 20% come from ISCE or state boards. “CBSE has undertaken the task to verify the documents of its students, while the University will verify the documents of students from other boards,” the official added.
This decision comes an academic year after the infamous controversy of Ankiv Basoya, who, after being alleged of submitting a fake degree, and the allegations proving right, lost his position as the President of Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU). His admission was cancelled by the Department of Buddhist Studies on 14th November last year.
“Returning the documents is a great step. Not only will it help students switch to other colleges easily, but the documents will also be safer with us,” said Tuba Afreen, a second-year student pursuing a five-year integrated course at DU. “In the month of March when there was a fire in our college, all the documents were kept in the room on the same floor. Fortunately, there was no incident but it could have ruined our lives even if a single document would have caught fire.”
Feature Image Credits – Quora