It’s that time of the year again when the week-long break is what all college students wait for. The mid-sem break is the perfect time to rouse those latent hobbies and interests that can keep you from dropping out, till the next mid semester. Here is how you can utilise the break effectively.
We, as college students are very busy during the semester with classes, assignments, friends, and internships. It becomes difficult to have time for everything that needs to be done. When break comes around, we have a lot of time for ourselves .However, it is important to use this time wisely and to stay focused. Here are a few things which can help:
- Spend time with your family – As an outstation student, one rarely gets time to visit his/her family. Even if you commute, college life can get so busy that you do not get to spend as much time as you would like to with your family. Holiday breaks are a perfect time to spend time with your family. Spend time together and tell each other what is going on in your lives.
- Catch up with friends from school – With a hectic college schedule, it becomes difficult to keep a track of all the friends from high school. Still, social media has helped us stay connected with some. Mid-sem break is the perfect time to catch up and remember all the crazy stuff you have done in your school days.
- Pick up a hobby – When was the last time you thought of playing the violin? Though you might have lost touch with your hobbies or pastimes, it’s never too late to start again.
- Sleep – Sleep can seem evasive when you are busy with college and assignments. We tend to stay up late, trying complete assignments which we were unable to do during the day. Over break, make a point to catch up on sleep. It may be tempting to stay up late, but catching up on sleep will help you renergise for the next few weeks.
- Update your resume or start making one – This week long break is the perfect time to add all the volunteer activities and internships you have done in the semester. It is important to update your resume so that you look as great as possible when you go for job interviews, or even scholarships.
- Read something apart from your course books -Haven’t picked up a novel in the last four months? With the mounting pile of course work, multiple readings for the same topic, classes, a dozen societies and some socialising squeezed in between, reading for leisure has been pushed into a corner somewhere at the back of our minds, where we know we would like to read that book, but just haven’t got around to actually doing it. Pick some novels or articles this mid-sem break and enhance your knowledge.
As it is said, ‘All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.’ However, it is only through making concrete, time-bound plans that you will be able to accomplish all you want this break, and nothing is more satisfying than a period where one can proudly claim of time well-spent.
Feature Image Credits: Surewinner