Yes, it’s the first week of college. Yes, it’s nothing like you imagined. Yes, you do feel a little lost. Here’s a revelation: you’re not alone.
Typically, the first few months of college require loads of patience from your end. And every senior who looks well settled in her/his place right now has been in your shoes at one point of time. Everyone may seem like a ‘someone’ right now but no one walked in to college all popular and confident!
So while you’re still in your ‘figuring out’ phase and are getting depressed over the fact that you’re just one of the crowd, here’s how to deal with the ‘Nobody Panic Syndrome’:
- Join a society: College will offer you a society for whatever suits you the most. As clichéd this advice may seem, you’ll bear the fruits eventually. By the time the first semester ends, you’ll realise that not only your teachers identify you as a member of that society but also your friends and peers from different departments.
- Chisel those conversation skills: The first few months in college will bring you the friends that’ll stay with you for a lifetime. Talk about chicken, Big Bang Theory, Sky-diving, exploits in parking lots; whatever sails your boat! It’s easier than you think because everyone is as awkward and confused as you are.
- Hanging out should be a priority: Go out with your peers, explore areas in and around college. This should be your top priority (side note: even more important than attending classes!). Not only do you get to know about the food you’ll survive on the next couple of years, you’ll bag loads of memories.
- Associate yourself with activities outside college: You want to be a go-to and contacts person? Know your business outside college too. Capitalise on your skills and be open for new ventures. Join organisations that work outside the ambit of your course.
- Most importantly, make your presence felt: Don’t want to feel like a nobody? Participate in fests, volunteer for department and college work. Keep up that enthusiasm; you are being slyly observed, you don’t know it!