With the newly introduced centralised trials system in place, the varsity will begin sports category trials from 24 June 2016. The decision was taken at a meeting of the varsity administration on Monday. Amidst foul cry by authorities, St Stephen’s college rejected the call to join the process and went on to begin its trials on Monday under the observation of a DU official.
This year, on the directions of the High Court, a centralised system has been put in place to do away with multiple rounds of trials and avoid malpractices. Trials of different sports will happen at designated colleges and certificates thus issued will be accepted by all the colleges.
In order to be eligible for the main trials, candidates need to have cleared fitness tests prescribed by the Delhi University Sports Council (DUSC). The main trials carry a weightage of 50 percent in the overall assessment process which has others criterions like accolades at district, state, national and international events and performance in the last three years.
This year, the university has received 9,780 applications for admissions under the sports category. With less than three days to go, the time crunch is sure to put many outstation aspirants in a fix.
Sports Trial schedule that has been released by the varsity is as following:
- Basketball (Venue: IPCW), Cricket (Women; Lakshmibai College), Aquatics (LSR), Tennis (Women; LSR), Squash (Sri Venkateswara College), Cricket (Men,University Ground) will happen on 24th June;
- Boxing (Dyal Singh College), Shooting (Hansraj College), Archery (Hansraj College), Hockey (Men; Shyam Lal College), Football (Men; Moti Lal Nehru College), Volleyball (M; PGDAV College) on 25th June;
- Tennis (Men; University Pologround), Football (Women; Kamla Nehru College), Hockey (Women; Shyama Prasad Mukherji College) and Basketball (Men, University Pologround) on 27th June;
- Athletics (University Pologround) on 28th June;
- Wrestling (Chhatrasal Stadium) on 29th June;
- Kho-Kho (Women; Satyawati College) on 30th June;
- Kho-Kho (Men, Satyawati College) on 1st July;
- Softball (Men, Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar College) on 2nd July
For the complete schedule, visit the notification on DU’s website.
Candidates are to report 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time of fitness tests and sports trials.
Feature Image: The Indian Express