More than 50 students were barred from taking fitness tests and trials on the very first day of Delhi University admissions under the sports quota. According to the students, they were informed that their sports certificates were not found eligible enough after being scanned.
Kaiser Rufai, the father of one such candidates told Hindustan Times, “We were never informed that we had been rejected. If the certificates were not correct then how were the forms accepted? The university should keep in mind that there are a lot of outstation candidates were going to turn up for the trials.” According to sources, this case has happened for the first time in DU. Anupam Manglik, another student from Pitampura said, “I wanted to appear for the football trials. I have all the required certificates, like my teammates. They were selected, while the list deemed me as ineligible.”
Following this incident, National Student Union of India (NSUI) staged a protest and also submitted an application to the sports officials.
The sports authorities, however, denied all the blame. They specified that the applicants were expected to check their online application dashboard, where results had been displayed. As told by C.S. Dubey, Director of DU sports council, over a phone call with our correspondent, “The admission system this time, has undergone various improvements and has exhibited total transparency. The online dashboard clearly mentions the certificate marks allotted to the respective candidates. Further, the certificates were analysed and verified thrice and proper time was provided for addressing grievances. Around 500 grievances have been addressed, out of a total of 10,000 applications. 4000 certificates also found to be invalid.”
Delhi University began with its fitness tests and trials on June 24. They will continue till July 2.
Feature Image: newsworldindia.in