With Raaz 3 now running in cinemas for some time, I thought long and hard as to why Bollywood failed so miserably at making good horror movies. I didn’t find a satisfactory answer and decided instead to look back upon the most horrific horror movies made in India:
5. Kaal: Soham Shah sat behind the camera for this disaster. Ajay Devgn, no that’s not a typo, seems to have tried out every possible genre. This, his first foray into horror movies was also his last. That guy sure has beans. Vivek Oberoi was the ghost in this one. One hopes he was as wise as Ajay and stopped doing movies altogether. Also it was widely believed that the best part of the movie was the Shah Rukh item song at the beginning. Go figure.
4. Hawa: If you ever happen to meet Tabu, kindly inquire of her the desperate nature of circumstances that compelled her into signing on for this absolute horror of a movie. Had the director kidnapped her mother? Did he have damning evidence against her? Did he threaten her to make her watch the movie once it was completed?
3. Dhuund the Fog: Yes, this is a movie. I checked and going by the reaction of the handful of people who saw this, it might well be the worst movie made by man, dogs or donkeys ever. The only reason why this is not higher up on this list is because it wasn’t advertised all that much and thus did not compel mankind to as much misery as the following movies did.
2. Agyaat: Ram Gopal Verma is quite an enigmatic filmmaker. He has obvious talent. Why he chooses to make movies such as this incomprehensible. We feel cheated. RGV is not supposed to be dominating lists such as this and yet he does. Not only has he headed the top two worst horror movies of all time but with Aag on his CV, he also has the worst movie ever to his name. Way to go, dumbass.
1. Phoonk 2: We all know the story with this one. RGV announced that whoever watched this movie alone in the theatre would get 5 Lakh rupees from him. Nice way to ensure audience, eh? Well someone did manage to watch it alone and RGV had to part with the said sum, bringing the total revenue from the project to a grand total of 5 rupees. At least someone gained from the investment.