Right to Information Act was passed in the year 2005 to empower the Indian citizen. An act which can penetrate into any government file, any substantial data and take it out into public domain. But after almost 9 years since the act was passed, still not many know how to use it to incur information.
Whether it is any governmental organisation, rules of procedure to file an RTI are the same throughout.
Here are some initial pertinent points one should know before filing an RTI in context to the Delhi University.
- An application for obtaining information under Right to Information Act, 2005 is required to be made to the Central Public Information Officer of University of Delhi.
- The prescribed fees for filing an application is Rs. 10/- by way of cash against proper receipt or by way of bank demand draft or banker’s cheque or Indian Postal Order payable to the Registrar, University of Delhi at Delhi.
- An Appeal can be preferred before a Registrar and 1st Appellate authority agaisnt the decision of Central Public Information Officer of the University.
The application is addressed to:
Public Information Officer
Deputy Registrar (Information), University of Delhi, Delhi (Presently Shri Jay Chanda)
The following steps / points may be noted to make an application under RTI Act:
- The person seeking information may apply on a plain paper giving particulars of information being sought and his/her correct address for communication.
- Separate applications for seeking information on different subjects are required.
- The application has to be accompanied with the prescribed fee (at present a fee of Rs. 10/-). The fee is payable with each application which is towards the cost of processing the request.
- The schedule of fees can be obtained from the Public Information Officer of the University of Delhi. For the time being the rates are as follows:-
- Rs. 2/- per page of A-4 or A-5 size.
- Actual cost for sizes bigger than A-4 or A-5.
- In case of printed material, the printed copies could be had from the University sales counter/authorized sales agents on payment.
- In case of photo copies, the rate would be Rs. 2/- per page.
- If information is needed on a disk or floppy subject to availability of information in soft form, the fee will be Rs. 50/- per disk/floppy.
- Admissible records may be allowed to be inspected on payment of Rs.150/- per hour or part thereof, before the date and time of inspection of the same.
- A major portion of the information will be available from the University Calendars Volumes I & II, and other rules as applicable to the University from time to time and printed syllabi for various courses. Some of these are available on the website of the University.
NOTE: Confidential matters pertaining to examinations, paper setting, evaluation of scripts and consequent procedures, composition and proceedings of the selection committees and minutes of the University Court/EC/AC until these are printed, will remain confidential and not available in the public domain.
Comments are closed.