With the admission session of 2021 commencing, several DU aspirants are surrounded by confusion and shock over which college to choose, and what would be best for them. Here we present the college profile of Hansraj College of the Delhi University.
Hansraj College was established in 1948, located in Malka Ganj (North Delhi). It is ranked the top 9th College in the 2020 NIRF ranking list. The college is known for its excellence that have produced great alumni. Notable alumni include Shah Rukh Khan and Kiren Rijiju.
Courses and Placements
The college offers several UG courses:
The best courses offered by this college are B.Sc(Hons.) and B.Com (Hons.). The median salary for the courses is as follows:
- 2.4 Lakhs – B.Com (Hons.)
- 1.9 Lakhs – B.A (Hons.)
Merit and need-based Scholarships are given by the college. The Student Welfare Committee holds interviews for the same. The number of students that benefit is usually around 100 but varies as per the students’ requirements. The college also has the facility to give fee concession from 50% to 100%, based on annual income, family background, girl child, etc.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS: The students are also offered scholarships by DAV, Single Girl Child policy, NCERT, and FAEA to name a few. In addition to these scholarships, students also benefit from the Inspire scholarships by the Department of Science and Technology and the scholarships extended by CBSE.
SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE ENABLING UNIT: Two awards of Rs.5000 and Rs.3000 are given to the meritorious students of the Enabling Unit every year by the College Alumni Association.
SCHOLARSHIP FOR THE DIFFERENTLY-ABLED STUDENTS: Every student belonging to the differently-abled category gets a full fee waiver and is required to contribute to the Students’ Union fund and some other minimal charges only.
Note: additional information about the scholarships can be found on the respective college websites.
The college has a number of facilities within the campus such as:
- Library – The library comprises four sections: the Main Library, individual Departmental Libraries (Sciences), the Periodicals, and the Textbook Sections.
- Amphitheatre and Auditorium – The College has a feature-rich air-conditioned auditorium having a seating capacity of around 600 which makes it one of the largest auditoriums in the University.
- Sports Facilities – The College has facilities for both outdoor and indoor games. The College has a huge sports ground and a basketball court between the college and the hostel premises.
- Laboratories – This includes laboratories for Chemistry, Physics, Electronics, Botany, Zoology, and Computer Labs.
- Seminar Room
- Common Room
- Yoga Room
- Medical Facilities – College has a medical room with all the necessary first aid and a mobile stretcher. Hansraj is well connected to a hospital that is within 500m of its main gate.
- Yagyashala – The college has an established Vishva Bandhu Centre of Indian Culture (Delhi Unit). The VVRI center now works in alliance with the research department of D.A.V. College Management for the collection, preservation, and publication of ancient texts.
- Computer Facilities – The college campus is Wi-Fi enabled with access to all the resources that the University provides centrally.
- Hostel Facilities – The College accommodates around 200 undergraduate male students in its hostel. It has a common room, a multifaceted gym, and arrangements for indoor and outdoor games.
- Enabling Unit – This cell consists of more than 100 volunteers to assist students with physical disabilities, with their regular course of studies. An Enabling Unit Room with audio aids, computer facility, etc. is available in the college. Ramps and a foot-over bridge connecting two different blocks of the college have been constructed.
What do the students say about their college?
Even though my visits to college have been limited to three, Hansraj for me, is more than it’s hall of fame wall, it’s the idea of all of the hustle and bustle in LP, the regular tuesday Hawans, and it’s people coming from all the streams.– Vanshika Narang
Read Also: College Profile: Hindu College
Feature Image Credits: The Financial Express