2018 will mark the tenth anniversary of iconic songs like Poker Face, Just Dance and Paparazzi and it’s only fitting to honour and learn from the woman, who within those ten years has been able to do what very few artists have been able to do.
1. No lip-syncs – One of the best things about Lady Gaga is that she remains true to her art. She can dance in 10 inch heels, sing immaculately, and maintain her breath while doing all that. Whether she is performing jazz, pop, or the American national anthem, she sings live and does that flawlessly. Her “Sound of Music” tribute at The Academy Awards in 2015 remind us of her impeccable vocal abilities. She can perform her well orchestrated songs over just a piano, with ease.
2. Pride and activism – She was the only modern generation pop artists that chose to stand up for LGBTQ+ rights when policies such as ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ were being followed in the American army. In 2010, she wore a 50 pound meat dress at the VMAs to share her message that we’re just meat and its the various identities that make us humans. She stands up against bullying and started the ‘Born This Way Foundation’ in order to spread a message of acceptance through out the world.
3. Raised the standard of the music industry – Before Gaga made everyone go gaga, hollywood celebrities did not experiment with their craft and their fashion. Nicki Minaj had black hair and Beyonce was seen sporting jeans to the red carpet. Her craziness and uniqueness brought a revolution and her music has always been out of the trends. She creates her own music, writes the lyrics and is not merely just a singer.
4. Superbowl 2017 – At this year’s Superbowl Halftime Show, Mother Monster not only jumped from the roof and performed acrobats throughout the performance but she was a one woman act. The last woman to perform alone at the show, viewed by over 100 million people live, was Diana Ross in 1996.
5. Charity- She has her own NGO and has been an advent donator to various causes including natural calamities throughout the world or against issues like rape and mental illness. She recently donated $1 million Dollars to relief efforts for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, José, Maria and the Mexico City earthquake. As a rape, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and fibromyalgia survivor she has been working hard on these issues.
6. Strong Headed Woman – In 2013, Gaga broke her contract with her long time manager Troy Carter in order to pursue her creativity without bounds. She overworked and also went through a severe hip injury in 2011 during her Born This Way Tour. She released Artpop afterwards, an intensely creative and experimental album.
7. Flawless Actress – She has accredited with the lead role in American Horror Story Season 5 where she played the role of “The Countess”. She won ‘Best Actress’ at ‘The Golden Globes’ for her role in 2016. In 2018, she is set to release her first full feature film – “A Star is Born” as the lead actress alongside Bradley Cooper.
8. Awards and Accomplishments – She is not only a thirteen time Guinness World Records holder but has won six Grammy Awards, an Oscar nomination, awards from the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and the Council of Fashion Designers of America. With 27 million albums and 146 million singles sold, she is one of the best-selling music artists of all time. She was also Billboard’s Woman of the Year in 2015 and Time’s person of the year in 2010.
Feature Image Credits: Pinterest