Born Ajay Singh, the diminutive, shaven-headed politician is known for his powerful oratory, though most of his speeches hinge on divisive lines and has been in the forefront in keeping the communal politics alive in the country. We bring to you five changes he has brought since his appointment as the CM of Uttar Pradesh.
- ANTI-ROMEO SQUAD: The CM called an end to road-side harassment, and asked for the setting up of ‘anti-romeo’ squads all over the state. This Squad is supposed to keep a check on eve teasing cases, from day one itself, over 900 people have been questioned by these squads.
- PAN-BAN: He has ordered a ban on the consumption of pan, gutka in government offices and schools as a move to further the cause if ‘SwachhAbhiyaan”
- METRO: The new CM has also announced Metro train projects for Gorakhpur (his LokSabha constituency) and Jhansi.
- CRACKDOWN ON MEAT: He ordered a crackdown on illegal slaughter houses and meat shops, and to check cow smuggling. Many meat shops were burnt and businesses on strike with supplies drying up. The government has clarified that only illegal abattoirs would be targeted. 2 Illegal slaughterhouses in Allahabad (Rambagh and Atala slaughterhouses) have been sealed. Moreover, several meat shops and slaughterhouses in Lucknow and Varanasi that had been operating illegally have been sealed. This also included the iconic ‘Tundey Kebab’ shop in Lucknow.
- REVELATION OF MINISTERIAL INCOMES: An hour after he took oath on March 19, Adityanath ordered all ministers to declare their income, movable and immovable properties within 15 days. He asked them to submit declarations to the CM secretariat.
Image credits: indianexpress.com