It’s that time of the admission season yet again when Delhi University gets to witness the euphoria of fresh talent and brightest young artists on the largest scale. With bundles of glorious certificates and sole instruments of hope, students dressed in vibrant costumes with drops of perspiration running down their forehead are seen bustling from one college to another to do justice to their talents through admission under ECA- Extra Curricular Activities. A sense of exhilaration and anxiousness fills the air as the guidelines for admissions under ECA category are announced.
They are mentioned as follows:-
1. All candidates seeking admission under ECA category must register online on DU Admission portal, while information regarding the requirement in different activities and number of seats available under ECA quota for each college can be found on their respective website or college prospectus individually.
2. The existing provision of 5% ECA quota (subject-wise) shall continue to remain the same this year as well.
3. A total of 25% weightage is given to the certificates of all candidates, who must submit substantial evidence of having won/participated in the concerned activity at International, National, Zonal and School level during the last three years, that is, from 1st April, 2013 till 31st March, 2016 only. Any candidate found submitting false certificates shall be debarred from gaining admission to any course in any college for three years.
4. With a 75% of weightage, the ECA Trials are held at two levels namely Preliminary trials and Final trials. The dates for the Preliminary/Final trials shall be notified on the University website or displayed on the College Notice Board well in advance, giving students more than enough time to prepare for the same in their concerned activities. Each candidate shall be allowed to appear at the Preliminary level only once.
5. The procedure of ECA trials under required activities may vary from one college to another. Shortlisted candidates may confirm with the cultural coordinators of the respective colleges or have a look at their websites for information regarding the same.
The trials for admission under ECA category shall be conducted by the ECA Admission Committee nominated by the staff council of the college. Usually, it consists of the Principal (Chairperson), Culture Committee Incharge, Nominee/s of the Culture Council and at least two experts/artists from some of the most prestigious institutions such as National School of Drama, Sri Ram Centre for Performing Arts, Faculty of Music & Fine Arts, Indian Council for Cultural Relations, College of Art, Sangeet Natak Academy, Sahitya Kala Parishad and All India Radio / Doordarshan.
The activities approved by the admission committee for ECA are as follows:
|Dance||Indian Classical, Indian Folk, Western|
|Vocal||Indian Classical, Indian Light and Folk, Western Classical, Western Light|
|Instrumental||Indian Classical, Indian Light, Western Classical, Western Light|
|Theatre||Dramatics, Street Play|
|Creative Writing||Creative Writing in Hindi, Creative Writing in English|
|Debate||Debate in Hindi, Debate in English|
|Fine Arts||Sketching & Painting, Sculpture|
|Digital Media||Still Photography, Film Making, Animation|
The merit list of all selected candidates containing marks of the ECA certificates and trials along with the course/subject allotted to them shall be displayed on the respective college Website and Notice Board for three days. Candidates must resolve all grievances, if any, within three days before confirming their admission.
Verification of original ECA certificates and screening of applicants/forms submitted by the candidates will be done during the process of admission. The decision of the ECA Admission Committee shall remain final. It is mandatory for all selected students to submit an undertaking at the time of admission stating that they shall perform for the College and University, all the years, during their undergraduate course of study.
For more information, visit http://www.du.ac.in/du/ or stay tuned to DU Beat.
DU Beat wishes all students best of luck!
Image Credits: www.pintinterest.com