Enactus is an international organisation that promotes social entrepreneurship in colleges. More than 20 Delhi University colleges have an Enactus chapter in their college. Each chapter starts with a well researched business plan to advocate assistance and better standard of living provisions for a target community by employing them in a prospective sustainable venture. As easy as it sounds, that is certainly not the case during the implementation of the venture. However, this challenge is set to provide a kick to the students who are a part of this society. Here are 5 vital things you will experience while you are a part of an Enactus chapter in your college :
- Without drive, your contributions are futile: This is probably the most important experience you’ll have being a part of an Enactus chapter. Without drive, empathy and willingness to assist the community you have targeted, your team’s efficiency will not be maximised. As long as you do not have the hunger to run that extra mile, to create a good rapport with the community, to really care for them you will not be as close to meeting your community’s needs or making your venture as sustainable as you would have liked.
- Team work is essential – While getting into an Enactus society is tough, the contributions after being selected end up being abysmal for a majority of applicants. This is sometimes because of the lack of intent to gel with the vast number of one’s peers. While there might be people from other courses, your intent should be to mix with everyone and learn as much as possible. This is the only way by which you can ensure that your opinions are being heard and debated upon. This also makes it easier for the team to acknowledge a decision taken by everyone.
- Not everybody wants college children giving advice to them: Once you’ve identified your community, you’ll often find them hesitant to subscribe to your business model. Especially when they are ‘content’ with their current livelihood. This is an important lesson that you’ll end up learning. The orthodox belief of communities being ‘grateful’ to you for bringing in innovative ideas is certainly not the case. That respect has to be earned with persistence of rapport building activities.
- Its not just a society;It is your venture: While people may criticize you for being just a college society, and not being a ‘serious’ venture, you’ll learn that it is certainly not the case. Every Enactus chapter has to face as many hindrances as any other business. You start with zero funds, zero external support and an experimental business model. You have different departments like any other organisation. You also have to take as much risks as any other business.
- Networking and Public Relations is extremely essential: Every Enactus chapter needs to reach out to as many people as possible. The more you reach out, the more chances you have of getting aid, assistance and guidance from clients, well wishers and fellow organisations. More networking leads to a lot more opportunities. When these opportunities are utilised, there is an increased chance of success.
Being a part of an Enactus team is extremely educative and fun. However, without full commitment you cannot expect success. Hence you have to strive and take your duties as a challenge and not a burden.
Picture Credits:- enactus.org